Dr. Connie Capdevila Brophy
Dr. Capdevila obtained her Psychology degree in 1987 and, after 9 years working in New York City, she has been in private practice in Barcelona since 1995. She assists adults, their families and couples in crisis as well as with long standing problems. She offers evaluations and psychotherapy to help face more effectively the relational conflicts, separation, divorce, Alcoholism, Depression, Anxiety, Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity disorder, the emotional and behavior problems of their children, and parent more effectively.
Connie obtained her Licensure in Psychology at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB), and later her Master in Child and Adolescent Psychopathology, and her Doctorate in Psychology. Her doctoral dissertation was on Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity subtypes.
Although Connie holds her title as expert in Clinical Psychology, she has also obtained the certificates in Alcoholism and Addictions from the U.S.A , Psychotherapist from the Spanish Federation of Psychotherapy Association. She has the Europsy certificate for Psychotherapy and Europsy for Psychology. Connie was trained in Couple’s and Family Therapy at the Ackerman Institute of New York. She is part of the group of Family Mediators habilitated by the Generalitat de Catalunya to work as specialist in Intrajudicial mediation. The COPC has issued a certificate as Expert in Education Psychology and another one as Expert in Conflict resolution and Mediation.
Experience in the United States. Connie worked for nine years in New York, as a Director and formerly as Assistant Director in a Clinic that offered alcoholism counseling and mental health services at Inwood Community Services, Inc. (1988-1995). She was also part of the team at the Learning Disabilities and Attention deficit at The Ackerman Institute for Family Therapy (1992-1995) and the Roberto Clemente Family Guidance Center (1986-1988).
At present, she combines her private practice with other activities including teaching. At the Col.legi Oficial de Psicologia de Catalunya (COPC) (Catalan Psychological Association), she coordinated a work group focused on the implementation of coparenting coordination for high conflict divorces (2013-2018). She was a board member at the Conflict Resolution Division of the COPC. Since July 2018, she serves as a COPC Board member.
- Col·legi Oficial de Psicologia de Catalunya, Board Member
- Federación Española de Asociaciones de Psicoterapeutas
- European Federation of Psychologists’ Associations
- Associació Catalana de Teràpia Familiar
- Centre de Mediació de Dret Privat de la Generalitat de Catalunya
- Associació de Professionals de la Mediació de Conflictes de Catalunya
- Acadèmia de Ciències Mèdiques de Catalunya i Balears
- Societat Catalana de Mediació en Salut, Board Member
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology
- Master in Child and Adolescent Psychopathology
- Completed Externship Training as Family and Couple’s Therapist at the Ackerman Institute for Family Therapy in New York City
- Certified Family and Divorce Mediator, approved by the Generalitat de Catalunya
- Parenting coordinator for high conflict post-divorce relationship
- EuroPsy, Registered Psychologist, Certificate issued by the European Federation of Psychologists’ Associations
- EuroPsy, Registered Specialist in Psychotherapy, Certificate issued by the European Federation of Psychologists’ Associations
- Alcoholism Counselor, USA
- Addiction Counselor, USA
Dr. Capdevila is a Clinical Psychologist with 30 years of experience in New York & Barcelona.